If you would like me to review an item, or sponsor me, just let me know, I'd love it!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

$20 and some leftover paint Computer Armoir



 This is our latest project.  I've been wanting to switch around my living room, but needed a different computer desk.  I searched on KSL Classifieds and found this, they were asking $40, but when I got there it has some dings and scratches that I couldn't see in the pic.  So I offered $20, they took it!  I was so excited!  As soon as we got it home I got out the putty and got going, then realized I didn't take any pics yet, so here are the first ones with putty on the scratches and holes etc.  It's laminated wood not real wood otherwise we might have left it as it was.  (OH and please don't look at my messy basement, there is shredded paper, toys and empty boxes, I rarely go down except for projects, so the kids have
free rein down there.)


So here it is after I really really sanded the laminate to make sure the paint would stick.  The paint I had as a leftover from our baseboards worked great!  But it's too white for me, so we found some stain (again leftover from another project) We stained the cabinet and took out some of the starkness and were able to make it look a little more 'Shabby Chic' (which is my favorite look!).


We got it up stairs, into the living room and to its new home in the corner.


 This is how beautiful your hands look even after 2 washes with 'orange clean' after staining something without gloves.  I need to remember to buy some next time I'm at the store.  I've now got them scrubbed clean ;)



This is the cabinet all done!  I LOVE how it turned out!  Now I can close up my computer and not have the baby trying to get at everything all the time, and if I have a mess with papers I can close it and now no one will see the mess!  Sorry the pictures are a little tilted, I was trying to get far enough away to get it all in, but my couch was in the way.  So now our living room is switched around and it seems a TON bigger!  The girls were wild tonight, I think they were excited to have more room to run.  Wish we'd have thought of this configuration when we moved in!  I think the cabinet is missing something though.  I think that I would like some vinyl lettering to put on the doors.  If you have a suggestion I'm all ears.  I think I'll call or email my 2 Jodi friends who I get vinyl from to see what their suggestions might be for a quote or something.  Hmmmm...I'll think about it and get some ideas, then post when I get it up!

1 comment:

  1. Great transformation! What a difference a "little" paint can do! :) Thanks for linking up to Sassy Sites- Trash to Treasure Tuesday! We are doing a LABEL giveaway today, so come back and check it out!

    xoxo!
    Marni @ Sassy Sites!

    ReplyDelete